Deciding you want to have new doors and windows installed at your property is just the first step in the process. After that, there is a range of decisions that you’ll need to make, such as selecting the type of material you would like them to be made out of, design elements that you want to implement, security features and perhaps most importantly, the type of doors and windows that you want to have installed.
This can be a lot to take in on your own, especially if it’s the first time you’ve had to replace doors or windows since you moved into your property, but we want to re-assure you and let you know that this is not something you have to go through alone. Direct Pro Windows & Doors has a wealth of knowledge about the industry has produced and installed custom made doors and windows for thousands of Toronto-based clients since we started out. Many people come to us and say “I would like a new front door” or “I need my windows replaced”, unaware that there a whole range of different types of doors and windows for them to choose from. We are going to point out some of the main types during this article.
Explore the Different Possibilities for Your New Doors and Windows
Your options will be more restricted with regards to the types of doors that you could choose. This is because unless you are willing to allocate a serious budget for the project in order to have modifications done to the structure of your property, you’ll have to choose a door that will fit into the existing framework. Different types of exterior doors that are installed include:
- Single Swing Doors
– For front doors and side entrance doors, single swing doors are most commonly used. They typically swing inwards, but can also be made to swing outwards.
Double Swing Doors
– If a single swing door isn’t big enough to cover the entrance to your home, you’ll need to jump up in size and look at double swing doors. Double swing doors are essentially two single doors that are combined to make a single unit. Have you heard of French doors? They are a specific style of the double swing door.
– The main criticism of swing doors is that they take up space in your home; nothing can be placed behind the door, otherwise, it won’t be possible to open it. Sliding doors are a great way to maximize the space in your home, as rather than swinging inwards or outwards, they slide parallel to the wall to open and close.
Centre Hinge Doors
– From the outside, this type of door looks just like a double swing door. There is one major difference though; the hinges for these doors are located in the center, rather than on the far side of each door. This means that the door can be opened from either the right or left side.
With regards to new windows, there are many different types that you can have installed, with the main differences between the various options being the type of opening mechanism used, the configuration of the window and its size. Some of the most common types include:
– Commonly seen in houses across the country, casement windows feature a hinge on either the right or left side of the window and swing in an outward direction. Known to provide excellent ventilation, good at preventing air infiltration and blocking out noise.
– This type of window has two panels that slide vertically to open and close the window. It’s also possible to buy single-hung windows, with the difference being that only one of the panels is able to move. Double-hung windows are liked for their ability to ventilate a room and protect the safety of children, as they can be opened at the top and locked at the bottom.
– Similar to casement windows, awning style windows swing outwards, but rather than the hinges being located on the side of the window, they are located on the top. While their ventilation capabilities cannot match other options, awning windows can be left open when it is raining.
– Gliding windows are the equivalent of a sliding door. They are easy to operate, sliding parallel to the wall to open and save you space. They are ideal if you have a patio or deck area just outside the window as they won’t protrude into this area and cramp your style (quite literally).
This article has offered a glimpse into the different types of doors and windows you could buy for your home in Toronto. The best choice will depend on the style of your home and other features it has. For a free consultation, call Direct Pro today.